Burnley vs Newcastle
Burnley will go head-to-head with Newcastle United on Saturday the 14th of December.
The Clarets are not in the best form heading into the tie.
Burnley have lost their last three Premier League clashes with their latest defeat a 5-0 hammering at the hands of Tottenham.
As a result, Burnley have slipped down to 13th in the PL. And they are just three points adrift of the relegation zone.
But while Burnley’s form has been declining recently, Newcastle have been putting together a decent string of results.
The Magpies have lost just one of their last five Premier League outings and are up to 11th in the table.
Steve Bruce’s side could even move as high as 5th, should they pick up all three points at Turf Moor.
Dyche hopeful of duo being fit
Ahead of what is likely to be a tough test for Burnley, Sean Dyche held his latest press conference on Thursday.
In the presser, Dyche confirmed that he is hopeful that both Ashley Barnes and Ashley Westwood will be fit for the weekend’s clash with Newcastle.
Neither Barnes or Westwood were in Burnley’s matchday squad, which lost to Spurs.
But while Dyche is hopeful of having Barnes and Westwood fit, Charlie Taylor is said to be a doubt for the tie.
SD confirms he is hopeful that Ashley Barnes and Ashley Westwood will be fit for the weekend.
Phil Bardsley is expected to train tomorrow. Charlie Taylor remains a doubt.
— Burnley FC (@BurnleyOfficial) December 12, 2019
Burnley also confirmed that Jay Rodriguez has a broken finger. But the Clarets also stated he will be ok for Saturday:
Jay Rodriguez has sustained a broken finger but will be okay to take his place in the Clarets’ plans for Saturday’s visit of Newcastle United.
Manchester United caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has fuelled speculation about his future by confirming he is no longer contracted to Molde.The fan favourite joined on a deal until the end of the season 2018-19 season, after the sacking ofJose Mourinho in December.The intention was for Solskjaer to return to his role at the Molde helm in May, with the Norwegian clubs chief executive Oystein Neerland saying they are happy to lend their manager to United.Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has improved Manchester United (Martin Rickett/PA)Last week Neerland was quoted as saying he was only with United until the end of the season and still hoped that he would return to Molde but Solskjaer has muddied the waters somewhat.Speaking to Fotballklubben podcast, the 46-year-old said: Im not sure how it works. I think the contract is expired and that Im now under contract with Manchester United. I think we need a new contract there (at Molde).Press Association Sport understands that Solskjaer has signed a deal with United until the end of the season and that any return to Molde would be down to the club and manager to agree.Solskjaer caught Uniteds eye when he was at Molde (Danny Lawson/PA)It is believed a manager cannot have contracts with two different teams at the same time. Just weeks before taking the temporary job at United, Solskjaer signed a three-year deal to extend his second spell with Molde.The Norwegian is the overriding bookmakers favourite to permanently succeed Mourinho and leads his side out against Paris St Germain in the Champions League round of 16 on Wednesday. United trail 2-0 from last months first leg at February.(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m)i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r])(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-72310761-1', 'auto', 'name': 'pacontentapi'); ga('pacontentapi.set', 'referrer', location.origin); ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension1', 'By Simon Peach, Press Association Chief Football Writer'); ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension2', '862edd2f-f6d3-4a74-b5b8-ce41cd96cba1'); ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension3', 'paservice:sport,paservice:sport:football,paservice:sport:uk,paservice:sport:world'); ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension6', 'story'); ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension7', 'composite'); ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension8', null); ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension9', 'sport:football'); ga('pacontentapi.send', 'pageview', 'location': location.href, 'page': (location.pathname + location.search + location.hash), 'title': 'Solskjaer confirms his contract in Norway has expired');
Liverpool have conceded 40 shots in three games
Three games. One defeat and two wins.
After losing to Man City in the Community Shield, Liverpool bounced back with wins against Norwich and Chelsea.
However, one underlying stat is gaining attention around Anfield.
Jurgen Klopp’s defence have already conceded 40 shots on their goal in three matches.
At the same time, Liverpool haven’t kept a clean sheet against City (1-1), Norwich (4-1) or Chelsea (2-2).
Last year, Liverpool’s Alisson recorded 21 clean sheets in the Premier League to win the Golden Glove.
Alisson, of course, is now injured. But are these stats evidence that Liverpool’s backline as a whole is less solid?
.@MCATEER4: – Liverpool had only one clean sheet through pre-season, so it was an area of concern.
— Viasport Fotball (@ViasportFotball) August 14, 2019
Jurgen Klopp after Chelsea
Chelsea ended up having 20 shots on Liverpool’s goal in the UEFA Super Cup, as recorded in the Times.
In addition, Christian Pulisic had a brilliant solo effort ruled out for offside.
What a goal this would've been from Pulisic 😳
— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) August 14, 2019
After the match, during Klopp’s post-match press conference, the Liverpool manager interjected his own thoughts on Liverpool’s backline and the offside calls against Chelsea, saying:
We know that we have to improve a lot of things. But it is really difficult how late offside is flagged because you constantly have the feeling that you are defending badly and it is not offside.
You are already worried and angry. Is the defence high enough or not? Sometimes it can be two or three yards offside and it is brilliant defending, but it doesn’t feel like that.
I think they have to talk about that rule again, or we have to get used to it, which is probably the more likely conclusion.
Klopp was clearly looking to publicly back his defence as they search for their first clean sheet of the season.
Watch Klopp’s comments after 6 minutes on the video below.
A risky move
Jurgen Klopp has revealed changes to the Liverpool line-up ahead of the game with Everton are tactical, as Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino miss out.
The Reds will take on Everton as Amazon Prime Sport’s late game, in what could be a feisty Merseyside derby.
After Manchester City’s win over Burnley on Tuesday, Liverpool need to keep up their brilliant pace which they’ve shown since the beginning of the season.
Though, they come up against the neighbours Everton in the Merseyside derby tonight.
While form usually goes out of the window in derby games, Everton have been in free-fall this season.
Marco Silva’s side find themselves sat 17th in the Premier League.
They are also yet to win a game at Anfield in 20 years.
Now, Jurgen Klopp may have given them the chance to change that with a suspect starting eleven.
“The other four we wanted to do, just to respect the game, to respect the intensity of the game first and foremost,”
As announced prior to the game, Liverpool have made five changes for the game.
It was expected that Adrian would replace the suspended Alisson Becker.
However, Adam Lallana, Divock Origi, Xherdan Shaqiri are all surprise inclusions.
Firmino and Salah drop to the bench.
Now, Klopp has explained his decision.
“One change we had to do in Adrian for Alisson, and the other four we wanted to do, just to respect the game, to respect the intensity of the game first and foremost,” Klopp explained, as quoted by the official Liverpool website.
“We did it because we can do it. I have to show the respect for the boys and I’ve said a lot of times how much I like the squad and now we have to use it.
“That’s the line-up for today because we think the game will be really intense and for this you need kind of fresh legs and we try to bring them in.”
View this post on Instagram