Spurs have this evening released a new statement, confirming that no further action will be taken on the back of Antonio Rudiger’s claims that he was racially abused during Chelsea’s trip to the Tottenham Hotspur stadium late last month.
Chelsea emerge victorious
London rivals Tottenham and Chelsea went head-to-head on the 22nd of December, in a crunch Premier League derby clash.
The matchup came as a crucial one for both sides, in their respective hunts for a top-4 berth.
Ahead of kick-off, it was Chelsea who occupied the English top-flight’s final Champions League place.
The Blues, though, headed into proceedings amid a dismal spell of form, having fallen to 4 defeats in their previous 5 league fixtures.
Spurs, on the other hand, had notched 4 wins in their preceding 5, following Jose Mourinho’s appointment.
As such, the hosts were viewed by many as favourites ahead of kick-off.
When all was said and done in north London, though, form went out the window, as Chelsea put their capital rivals to the sword by 2 goals to nil.
A superb performance on the part of Frank Lampard’s outfit eventually saw a first-half brace from Willian prove the difference between the sides.
1 – José Mourinho suffered his first ever home defeat against a team he had previously managed, having gone unbeaten in the previous 13 across all competitions (W12 D1). Melancholy. pic.twitter.com/zsh7wgINWM
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) December 22, 2019
Highlights: Tottenham 0-2 Chelsea
Last month’s proceedings in the English capital, though, were unfortunately marred by multiple claims of racist behaviour.
Late in the second-half, Antonio Rudiger gestured that he had been targeted by members of the home crowd, resulting in three separate announcements over the Public Address system.
Announcement over the PA system here says “racist behaviour is interfering with the game”. Appalling for English football, yet again.
— James Olley (@JamesOlley) December 22, 2019
Spurs subsequently released a statement, assuring that they would be ‘exhaustively investigating this matter.’
‘No evidence to support the allegation’
And, as outlined above, a follow-up statement has this evening been forthcoming, putting the matter to bed.
However, in what will no doubt come as a major source of disappointment to Antonio Rudiger, it has been confirmed that ‘no evidence’ has been found to support the Chelsea star’s claims.
As such, with ‘the Club and Metropolitan Police having now exhausted all avenues of investigation’, ‘the crime report has been closed.
Tottenham’s statement in full can be viewed below:
‘The Club and the Metropolitan Police have now exhausted all avenues of investigation following the reported incident at our home fixture against Chelsea on 22 December.’
‘We carried out extensive reviews of CCTV images and footage, working with professional lip readers. All materials and reports have now also been reviewed by the police who have carried out their own investigation.’
‘The police have notified us today that, having reviewed and investigated, they have closed the crime report as they can find no evidence to support the allegation of racial abuse.’
‘We fully support Antonio Rudiger with the action that he took – however there is no evidence to corroborate or contradict the allegation and as such neither ourselves nor the police are in a position to take any further action.’
‘We are fiercely proud of our anti-racism work and our zero tolerance of any form of discrimination. This is one reason why we have attributed so much time and resource to investigating this matter. Had we identified anyone guilty of this we were intent on issuing them with a lifetime ban from our stadium as they would have no place among our proud, diverse fan base.’
‘If any new information comes to light, this will be fully investigated.’
Club Statement – Update on alleged racism incident at Chelsea match.
— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) January 6, 2020